Thursday, July 18, 2013

426 Quickie Finals

What can I say?  It's the highs and the lows of Muncie.

Roy was kicking @ss in the qualifying rounds.  I was chugging along keeping my nose clean.
Then came the the Crash-fest - I mean the Finals.

It's 11:05 in the hotel room.  We left the flying field at 9:00pm to go for dinner.  33 degree heat and humid all day.   Are we on vacation ?

Roy and I both made the finals in Quickie.   Roy placed around 3rd or 4th place in his matrix.   I made it in at 12 place.   Top 12 get in with two wild cards having fast times under the top 12.

Finals started and Roy was now chasing the needle valve setting.  He posted two fourth place finishes which is very odd for Roy.  I had a second and a high speed touch and go off of the pavement due to bad air at pylon 3.   I scraped a wing tip, stressed the landing gear and broke the prop.  This cost me a zero.

Today I decided to go to my backup Quickie which proved to be a good decision.   The motor ran better and I was more competitive.  I posted some seconds and thirds at 1:06.  Roy got it together and was getting firsts and seconds at 1:04.  Then came round 7.    Roy took off, pulled at number 1 and came back through #2 and #3 and hit a patch of bad air.  As you know how low Roy flys, there was no room for correction.  In a fraction of a second it was in the pavement.

Round 8 came for me and all I had to do was finish.  Ten laps, one minute and six seconds or so and I'm home free.   Lap two came and Roy said a bunch of guys in my heat had cut.  Sounds great, right?   I bumped it up about 20 feet to do some cruising.   I cruised right through bad and into the pavement.   <Insert very sad face here>   <Insert swear words and wild waving arm gestures>

There's not much more to say other than the winner was Bill Johanson with Caller Tom Scott.  A great team for sure.  Bill also posted fast time at 1:03.xx    Bill really deserves the win.  He is a great competitor and an excellent pylon flyer.

When the airplanes stopped falling from the sky, Roy finished in 22nd and I finished in 20th position.   Thank goodness that's over.
Final standing posted below.   1:03.23



Some helmet cam video here:


Q40 qualifying heats begin tomorrow.


Randy - out.














No comments:

Post a Comment